The Municipality of Kileler, with a population of 20.854 permanent residents, is a basically rural Municipality, the second largest in Larissa and is characterized by a large number of scattered settlements throughout its area. The Municipal Waste Management Plan (ToSDA) emphasizes on innovative actions that are tailored to the specific characteristics of the Municipality.
The Waste Plan has been conducted by EPTA Environmental Engineers - Consultants of Environmental Works & Circular Economy(www.epta.gr). The scope of the Waste Plan is the development of actions such as, construction of modern infrastructure for solid waste transfer, waste prevention and reuse (reduction of waste production), separate collection, recycling of municipal waste targeting to reduce waste landfilling and waste management to be based on the principles of the Circular Economy.
Henceforth, the Municipality of Kileler has an action plan which will last until 2025, with specific goals, time frame, cost estimation, responsibilities and detailed description of proposed actions and infrastructure needs, with the intention of its gradual implementation promptly.
The main outlines that are proposed in the framework of the Waste Plan and analyzed in individual actions / infrastructure needs are the following:
- The construction of a local Waste Transfer Station.
- The construction of a central and a decentralized Green Point to promote separation at source and sorting of different materials and streams of municipal waste, which will be accessible to the citizens.
- The establishment of a broad network of multiple Recycling Corners in locations that will serve all citizens and tourists, providing the possibility of separate collection of multiple streams of waste.
- The construction of a Creative Reuse Center.
- The organization of a network for organic waste separate collection gradually and by the end of 2022 all citizens will have access to the network of organic waste bins.
- The promotion of composting at the household and Municipality level but also for educational purposes in certain schools of the Municipality.
- Increasing the separate collection and pre-treatment of green waste.
- Enhancing the separation collection sorting of recyclable materials & other waste (packaging, WEEE, waste portable batteries) as well as the separate collection of paper, glass packaging, textiles, etc.
- The improvement of the system of separate collection of bulky waste.
- The pilot application of the "Pay as You Throw" system.
- The organization of an integrated awareness campaign and an appropriate mechanism for the coordination and monitoring of the local plan, in parallel with the modernization and organization of the municipal Cleaning Office.
- The reinforcement / organization of prevention - reuse actions of materials.