The integrated management of industrial hazardous and non-hazardous solid waste in the Prefecture of Central Macedonia, and specifically in the region of Thessaloniki., constitutes a basic environmental issue to be addressed.
Moreover, the lack of infrastructure and cost-effective management of industrial waste in Central Macedonia comprises a major barrier to the environmentally proper development of domestic industry. In this context, the Prefecture of Central Macedonia assigned to EPTA S.A. a comprehensive ‘’Feasibility Study for the implementation of sanitary landfill site for the disposal of industrial solid waste in the region of Thessaloniki’’ in order to initiate an opportunity for the problem solving. The main objectives of the feasibility study are the following:
- Analysis of the current situation regarding the production and management of the industrial solid waste, hazardous and non-hazardous, in the region of Thessaloniki.
- Determination of the quantitative and qualitative characteristics of industrial waste.
- Assessment of the different criteria for the selection of the landfill site according to current legislation.
- Determination of the technical specifications for the landfill construction and operation, lifetime, rehabilitation, as well as the investment and operational costs.
- Evaluation of the above actions in order to examine the feasibility or not of the implementation of a sanitary landfill site for the disposal of industrial solid waste in the region of Thessaloniki.
In sum, the feasibility study may serve as a valuable framework for the proper management of industrial solid waste in the region of Thessaloniki on the basis of the ‘polluter pays principle’ and the support of the state.