The European Business Awards for the Environment in Greece organized by The Directorate-General for Environment (DG Environment) of the European Commission, in collaboration with the Greek Association of Environmental Protection Companies (PASEPPE), were awarded under the auspices of the Hellenic Republic, the Hellenic Federation of Enterprises (SEV) and the Central Union of Municipalities of Greece (KEDE).
More, specifically, EPTA S.A was awarded for «FollowgreenTM-Innovative Smart City Recycling & Crowdsourcing Platform». The web platform followgreen.gr was awarded in «Product and Services» category of the «European Business Awards for the Environment».
EPTA S.A. Environmental Consultants-Engineers, in collaboration with the Omniworks’ IT company, developed the recycling revenue platform followgreen.gr. The platform is concerned with the implementation of a digital application for «smart» cities and communities connecting the Municipality with citizens, local businesses and schools with a common goal of increasing recycling.
The main reasons for awarding the prize to the platform were the following:
- Providing Municipalities with a contemporary digital tool to reward citizens who promote recycling, through local market discounts.
- Educating citizens- in a simple and entertaining way-, on recycling and reuse and recycling practices.
- Integrating schools (students and parents) through recycling contests in order to obtain a key role in Municipality’s recycling.
- Strengthening the Social Services of a Municipality since it connects social reuse of materials (like clothes household items, books that are offered for poor people and not being wasted when not needed) with rewards.
- Strengthening the local market with redeemed points in local sales with discounts and providing free of charge advertisement to the local market.
The European Business Awards for the Environment ceremony was held on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at the War Museum of Athens.