Energy Efficiency Design for the Environmental and Circular Economy Park in Heraklion, Crete has been completed by EPTA Consultants Environmental Engineers on behalf of the United Association of Solid Waste Management in Crete (ESDAK).

The park is developed in a public area of 27 ha which is located in Nea Alikarnassos, west of the city of Heraklion, south of the airport and north of the Heraklion Industrial Area. The park consists of green spaces, walking and recreation areas in a percentage of 55%. The rest (45%) hosts diverse environmental facilities e.g. reuse, source sorting and recycling areas, recovery of municipal solid waste, as well as research, innovation, environmental education and recreation premises.

The Energy Efficiency Design for the Park includes:

  1. Energy efficiency interventions (thermal insulation, windows) for the park buildings: Central Green Point, Research and Innovation building.
  2. High efficiency energy interventions for the electrical and mechanical systems (heating, cooling, hot water) by use of biomass and solar energy, heat pumps of latest technology, air quality control systems and automation systems.
  3. Road and interior lighting retrofitting by use of  high efficiency LED technology luminaires.
  4. Renewable Energy Production from gasification of Biomass will be sent to the grid of the Park (electrical energy) and the energy-intensive facilities (thermal energy). Remaining thermal energy can be sent to the grid of the Industrial Area.
  5. Photovoltaic park of electrical energy production.

The need in biomass for the gasificator will be totally covered by the produced pellets in the Solid Waste Treatment Unit within the Park. Moreover, produced area in the Park will cover a) the need for thermal energy of the buildings and the dryer of the Solid Waste Treatment Unit and b) the larger part of the electricity demand of the Park.  

A major objective is that the Park will be Energy Sufficient until the end of 2025, when the total of the designed facilities will be in full operation.

Except for the above described energy profits:

  • An amount of 45m € will be invested from the National Operational Programs
  • 250 new jobs will be created
  • the park will attract over 10.000 visitors per year
  • over 35.000 tons of waste will be reused or recycled under the park's operation

Get in touch with us

16 Iniochou str., GR – 15238, Athens, Greece
Tel: +30 210 6086300 -