Municipality of Acharnes submitted to the regional waste management authority (EDSNA) the Municipal solid waste management Plan/ Strategy, which has been developed by EPTA Environmental Engineers-Consultants according to the provisions of the new legislation ‘National Waste Management Plan’ and the contents of the ‘Guide for the study of municipal waste management plans’ issued by the regional waste management authority.
Municipality of Acharnes is one of the most populated municipalities in Attica and attracts a great number of industries (manufacturing, services, etc.). The Municipal Plan includes a detailed study of objectives, activities, performance targets, as well as analysis of the existing land uses and proposals for alternative sites for the new infrastructures.
Finally, the Municipal Plan presents costing of proposed actions and project time schedule for municipal solid waste management for the various solid waste streams, in order to get approval for financing from the 2014-2020 Attica regional funding program.
The 6 basic elements/ principal actions of the Municipal solid waste management plan of Acharnes include the following:
- Provision of a Central Green Point, two small Green Points (for the regions of Acharnes and Thrakomakedones respectively) and several small collection points in local districts.
- Provision of a Waste Transfer Station
- Biowaste and Green waste separate collection and Home composting.
- Waste prevention & re-use activities and separate collection of packaging waste and other recyclable materials.
- Paper waste and Glass packaging waste separate collection, as well as Bulky waste and Construction & Demolition Waste separate collection.
- Awareness campaign and coordination and monitoring plan of activities and implementation of citizen’s “smart card”