Greek Ministry of Economy and Development approved the funding of 2 Waste Treatment Plants (Region of Epirus and Serres - Central Macedonia SWM Association) amounting to 35.5 million euros from the NSRF 2014-2020 program. The total construction cost of the two units is approximately 60 million euros plus VAT and the rest funding will be from equity/loan from the preferred bidders through the already completed PPP procedure. EPTA Environmental Consultants Engineers has provided in both project Technical Support (Engineering and Financial) for the PPP and financing procedure. The PPP contracts are now expected to be approved and signed in first months of 2017.
The maximum annual capacities are respectively up to 105,000 and 63,000 ton of residual mixed and / or source separated biowaste and the two MBT plants are expected to be operational by the end of 2018.
These two MBT plants will ensure:
1. Compliance with environmental legislation (EU directives, NSWMP)
2. Low volume of residues to be landfilled volume (saving space and landfill cost-tariff)
3. Recovery of recyclables (paper-plastic-metal-glass)
4. Organic waste diverting from landfill that is harmful and is associated with EU fines
5. Production of compost for soil use.
6. Creation of 300 new jobs during construction and operation