The Municipality of Ioannina (population reached 112.500 approx. in 2011) is the greatest solid waste producer in the region of Epirus, thus the Municipal solid waste management Plan is of significant importance for the whole region.
The Municipal Waste Management Plan has been developed by EPTA Environmental Engineers-Consultants according to the provisions of the new legislation, with the aim to reduce solid waste landfill.
The Municipal Plan includes a detailed study of objectives, activities, performance targets, and proposals for 2020. In addition, the Municipal Plan presents costing of proposed actions and project time schedule for municipal solid waste management for the various solid waste streams, in order to get approval for financing from the new funding program.
The five (5) basic elements/ principal actions of the Municipal solid waste management plan of Ioannina include the following:
- Provision of a Central Green Point, eight (8) small Green Collection Points and a Mobile ‘Educational’ Green Point.
- Biowaste and Green waste, Bulky waste separate collection and Home composting.
- Waste prevention & re-use activities.
- Separate collection of packaging waste and other recyclable materials, as well as Paper waste and Glass packaging waste separate collection.
- Awareness campaign & coordination and monitoring plan of activities and implementation of citizen’s “smart card” as well as modernization of the cleaning services.
Finally, the Municipal Plan incorporates the proposed actions and infrastructure in the Regional Plan of Epirus, such as: the Solid Waste Treatment Plant of Epirus, the Composting Plant for the treatment of the separated organic fraction, as well as the Solid Waste Transfer Station for the Municipality of Ioannina.