The project aimed at the development of a Municipal solid waste management Plan/ Strategy for the Municipality of Koropi (population size of about 30.307) in Attica Region, after the 2/10/2014 formal request of the Regional Authority. The Municipal Waste Management Plan has been prepared by the Municipality’s Technical Services in collaboration with EPTA Environmental Engineers-Consultants according to the contents and provisions of the ‘Guide for the study of municipal waste management plans’ issued by the regional waste management authority, EDSNA.
The key actions/projects proposed in the framework of the Municipal solid waste management plan of Koropi include:
- Central Green Point and several small Collection Points (same site with the Waste Transfer Station).
- Waste prevention and re-use activities.
- Home composting.
- Biowaste separate collection.
- Cooking oil separate collection.
- Paper waste separate collection.
- Bulky waste separate collection.
- Green waste separate collection.
- Expand separate collection of packaging waste and other recyclable materials.
- Awareness campaign and coordination and monitoring plan of activities.
- Waste Transfer Station (same site with the central Green Point).
- The modernization of the cleaning services with the acquisition of new waste collection vehicles and the organization of a new management and control system.
The Municipal Plan includes analysis of the existing land uses and proposals for alternative options for siting the new infrastructures (green point, waste transfer station and small collection points). Finally, the Municipal Plan presents the total budget/investment cost for the proposed action plan, in order to get approval for financing from the 2014-2020 Attica regional funding program.