The Municipality of Serres (population reached 76.817 approx. in 2011) is among the largest solid waste producer in the region of Central Macedonia, thus the Municipal solid waste management Plan is of significant importance for the whole region. The Municipal Waste Management Plan has been developed by EPTA Environmental Engineers-Consultants according to the provisions of the new legislation, with the aim to reduce solid waste landfill.
The Municipal Plan includes a detailed study of objectives, activities, performance targets, and proposals for 2020. In addition, the Municipal Plan presents costing of proposed actions and project time schedule for municipal solid waste management for the various solid waste streams, in order to get approval for financing from the new funding program.
The five (5) basic elements/ principal actions of the Municipal solid waste management plan include the following:
- Provision of a Central Green Point and ten (10) small Green Collection Points.
- Biowaste and Green waste, Bulky waste separate collection and Home composting.
- Waste prevention & re-use activities.
- Separate collection of packaging waste and other recyclable materials, as well as Paper waste and Glass packaging waste separate collection.
- Awareness campaign & coordination and monitoring plan of activities and implementation of citizen’s “smart card” as well as modernization of the cleaning services.
Finally, the Municipal Plan incorporates the proposed actions and infrastructure in the Regional level, such as the Treatment Plant for Mixed Waste and Organic Waste selected at source of Serres Prefecture.